Skilful Skype

Hello travelers!

Today I want to bring your mind back to a subtle little program called Skype. You know it, right? Well today I want to introduce you to:

You read right! Now you can use Skype in your classroom. Brilliant! With Skype in the classroom you could…

• collaborate on projects with classes across the globe;
  • have Q & A sessions with people of interest;
  • discover new cultures; or
  • meet new people!

Skype in the ClassroomIf you’re interested in the pro’s and con’s of Skype in the classroom – take a quick hop over to my website where I’ve previously listed the advantages and disadvantages.

I know the idea could possibly be a little overwhelming bare with me for a moment. I want you to think about all those ideas and excursions running around in your head that the budget or time won’t allow for… now I want you to think about the possibility of a Skype call instead… getting a little clearer?

What about all those second and third hand accounts via text books or information web pages that students skip over reading rather than try sort through all the tedious information amongst it? How about interviewing a first hand account? Now are you with me?

Skype in the classroom  breaks the barriers of what originally was an impossibility. Ask a buddy classroom what their usual day routine is or what their national holidays involve! Interview an scientist who is studying a volcano right now! Those four walls surrounding you are no longer solid. You can use your imagination, you can use Skype in the classroom!

Check out the video below for what Skype is really all about:

Below I’ve included a lesson plan which incorporates Google Earth and Skype in the Classroom. By all means, download a copy for future reference! It’s by no means perfect so feel free to ‘tweak’ it to suit your needs. It is just one of the many examples of how Skype can be used in the classroom.

If you have difficulties with Scribd, jump over to my website here where you can find the PDF and DOCX versions of the lesson plan to download as well.

Technology Lesson Plan

2 thoughts on “Skilful Skype

1. Hey, This is a great program, I believe. It creates links to other cultures, classroom and countries through the computer. Showing children what schooling is like in other parts of the world. You could create many unique and creative group projects between students across the globe.
    Thanks for sharing this program 🙂

2. I’m a visually learner myself. So I understand that some students need to see what things are like, rather than just reading them in a book as such. That’s why I like Skype in the classroom. It’s the link between cultures